Famous Seamus

Famous Seamus
Love that belly

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Good Thing I'm a Nurse

My little diabetic kitty who is actually somewhat large is doing fine.  He's sweet and gentle as always.  He is on insulin twice a day and several other meds.  I never knew the cost of insulin until I bought his first vial - more than $300.00 for a bottle of about a teaspoon of insulin. I'm not sure, but I think that makes it more expensive than gold.  It does last several weeks  Then there are syringes, and trips to the vet for blood checks.  He's a mellow cat and that helps.  He never resists the injections just looks at me with a puzzled expression.  He seems to trust me which is good.  He purrs when I pick him up and since being on the insulin he seems to have lost some weight which is good for him.  He was a little pudgy which could have contributed to the diabetes.  I know he needs more exercise, but I'm not too good at that.  I run a mile every day for myself and would be  happy to include the kitty, but he objects to that, ie he lies down and I have to carry him.  I run in the house with a string to entice him to run.  He looks at me as though I'v lost my mind.  He's probably right now, that I think about it.  He is getting older -  I think he's about 11 years old now which means that he likes to sleep all day and get little exercise.  I do have to work on that. Even though I have 3 other cats they don't play with each other.  They are all olympic level sleepers. If  I'm not careful they'll all end up as diabetic  -  what a horrible thought.  One is really enough. So if anyone reading this has cats with illnesses or unusual behaviors write to me and I'll post some of the letters.  It always feels better to share problems with someone so I might post segments of the letters.  Thanks for reading my cat-centered  blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment