Famous Seamus

Famous Seamus
Love that belly

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Backyard Learning

Of course I'm still feeding the outside animals (well the inside ones too, but I assume that's a given) and learning from them every day.  They are becoming more accustomed to seeing me and braver about being near me.  They actually ignore me a little as though I'm part of the landscape.  Once a little squirrel thumped at  my door, actually threw his little body against it.  I interpreted that as a hunger message and like "Hey!! I'm hungry!! What's up!!!"  So of course I rewarded that behavior with some peanuts and sunflower seeds.  I have also discovered that squirrels will eat seeds when peanuts are unavailable.  The morning doves like the small seeds best, blue jays and crows are fond of peanuts too. Most of the smaller birds and squirrels also like sunflower seeds especially the cardinals. When they flutter and swoop down and grab one my kitties, watching what I call squirrel TV, enjoy that little bit of entertainment.  From the bleachers of the table in front of the window they cheer (by squeaking and chirping too) and hold very still.  I am careful not to disturb them when they are watching the birds play peanut soccer.  They are usually very intense and do not like to be disturbed when viewing a match.  So of course I accommodate this little idiosyncrasy of theirs. It ends, but the winner is never applauded or declared for that matter. That information remains with in their little kitty brains. But they are happy and excited with the outcome so that's all that matters. Of course the free entertainment is a plus for me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment