Famous Seamus

Famous Seamus
Love that belly

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Seamus again

I've been visiting my cat Seamus every day, twice most days.  I miss him.  He is at the vets because he has some serious medical problems ie congestive heart failure and diabetes. He is a sweet, mellow, gentle little kitty and loves being petted and massaged and chin scratched.  If you rub too briskly all he dose is bump your hand with his mouth.  He's just so sweet, and now I have to leave my home to see him and hold him.  It is breaking my heart and I cry every time I leave there.  All I keep thinking is how do parents with seriously sick children cope with the worry, sadness, the separation, and scheduling visits.  It's all so sad and complicated.  When I get home I give some extra attention to the other feline residents.  I no longer take their presence for granted.  My mother liked cats to some extent, but never wanted to be bothered with caring for them, When we did have some I did most of the feeding and litter box cleaning because I thought it was important and I wanted to be sure they were happy and clean etc. And I'm still that way.

We never had a good place for the litter box in those days, but here I keep them in the basement and clean them several times a day.  That's the part that many people don't think about when they are considering a pet.  Who will walk the dog, clean up after the cats, feed them when the mom isn't home and for little kids teaching them to be gentle so they avoid serious scratches.  It's a tall order that most people either over think or don't think about at all.  Got to be a happy medium there some how.  At this time in my life I do it all.  I live alone with my feline roomies so I am responsible for everything  cleaning up after them, remembering to feed them, sleeping with them, and taking them to the doctor.  They don't complain too much about that, but they don't like the ride in the car.
Seamus is doing well now, allows me to give him his meds without a fight or scratches and bites.  He's a really mellow little guy and great company too - when he's awake.   His meds consist of giving him an injection and some pills.  He's very good about it.  But I still feel sad doing it.  I also get a little hyper because I'm afraid I'll forget something  or he'll bleed or it'll hurt him.  I'm a whimp when it comes to my kitties.  I love them and I spoil them.  I kiss them, I invite them to sleep on my bed, and they seem to like that.  I'm a little neurotic about the whole pet parent thing.  But there is nothing like dozing off to the sound of a cat purring as he lies in the crook of an arm. However waking up to loud meows is not quite as pleasant.  Fortunately they don't do that much if at all.
I truly believe that life is better with pets, any pets that one enjoys will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment