Famous Seamus

Famous Seamus
Love that belly

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Still Waiting

Preparations for the approaching  hurricane known as Irene are pretty well complete.  We didn't buy a second sump pump just in case the one in use dies on us.  But that one is less than 3 yrs old so it should be OK.  However if the power fails and the rain continues and is heavy we could be out of luck. But there is little I can do at this time.  I will check for water once more before I go to bed. I probably should have bought some more mops for cleanup.  If you live in low lands that once were wetlands, but have been pumped dry and developed as housing complexes you know what I'm talking about.  Otherwise I could explain, but I think you get the idea.  So a lot depends on how much rain, how fast, and how good the drainage is.  Water in the basement is not a new problem for this house.  From the first year we moved in up to last year when the old pump died just before a heavy rain. We didn't discover it until after the rain flooded the basement.  The cleanup was exhausting.  We had 2 houses to do that time.  That could happen again with the heavy rains from a hurricane.  Fortunately we don't get many hurricanes in New England maybe one every 10 - 15 years.  Snow storms are
more common, but I don't know which is worse.  They both can disrupt, travel, traffic, schools, and roads with debris (snow or electric lines, or buildings in the road).  I think the degree of damage is most important in either case.  So although I'm not really worried because worry doesn't prevent anything unless it motivates you to action, I am thinking about previous hurricanes, and what else I can do.  At this point I think I've done all I can.  Now I must wait and see.  So I'll post again after Miss Irene has left CT.  On the local news it was reported that we have not had a hurricane hit New England since Hurricane Bob which was  maybe 20 years ago.  I think that is odd (just for me) because my mother's middle name was Irene and she died last year.  Do you think she's sending me something to remember her by?  I wonder.  I could think of something a little less dramatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment