Famous Seamus

Famous Seamus
Love that belly

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hurricane Irene

Hurricane Irene finally showed up late Sat. and left my neighborhood without power until just a few minutes ago.  That's why I haven't written for a few days.  From late Sat. until about 9:30pm this evening I was in the dark.  It wasn't fun the way it was when I was a kid and we used candles and a battery powered radio and toasted marshmellows over the candles.  I did use candles, and flashlights, and hurricane lamps (what a great name).   But I could not sleep for fear of the house burning down.  I had to leave some lights on because I have a cat with some serious emotional problems such as fear of any new situation (such as moving or new furniture) and yes fear of the dark.  Princess Chloe (as I affectionately call her) let out screams like a banshee (what ever that is) at night periodically--  all night, and low growls, and fearsome sounding snorting to ward off the demons.  So if I was going to get any sleep at all I had to give her some light and sleep in the same room with her.  The second night she slept in my bed with her head on my arm all night ( sort of perpendicular to me).  I was not allowed to move.  She's really a sweet little kitty who wouldn't hurt anything, but the screams, hissing, and snorting (very unlady-like) suggest otherwise.  Even my other 2 cats give her space when she gets like this.  Her background is a bit spotty.  I know she lived outside for the first year of her life and her mother and siblings died (hit by cars I believe) when she was still a very small kitten herself so I imagine her fears originate from the experiences she had during that year.  My sister rescued her actually. When one of her cats tried to teach the little princess some manners (which didn't work at all), she came to my house and things went very well  (for about a year)untill I moved to a new house.  That's when some of the psycho behaviors began to show up. One month later the hurricane.  It was all too much too soon.  I think it will take a while for her to get back to the sweet little kitty she really is.  But I'm patient and the boys (Seamus and Giuseppe) are just avoiding her for now.  They look at me with this puzzled expression like "What's with her???"
I have tried to explain it to them, but they look even more puzzled when I talk to them.  Then they just walk away shaking their little heads.  I don't get much respect at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment