Famous Seamus

Famous Seamus
Love that belly

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Chipmonk CPR

This story is a few years old, but since I haven't used it here before I thought some
might find it interesting and amazing.  That's what I thought about it as I was
writing this.


Today I went outside to feed the birds and squirrels, but the minute I opened the door my red tabby cat Seamus ran out the door like a streak of lightening.   I didn't run immediately because he doesn't leave the yard usually when this happens.  He just stalks things.  I grabbed my cup of peanuts for the squirrels and headed out to retrieve my little  boy. When I looked at him I realized he had something live in his mouth.   When I got close enough to grab him I realized it was a chipmunk..  I tried to pry open his mouth and was successful after a few seconds.  He growled a warning to me to back off, but I never really listen to that kind of threat.  He just wants to scare me.  So I continued to pry his little mouth open and finally the little chipmunk fell out, landed on the ground and lay very still.  I thought he was dead.  I picked him up and held him and cradled  him in my hand while I inspected him.  He wasn't breathing.  He had a small hole on his right lower abdomen with only a spot of blood  and his left front paw (looked more like a little hand) was bloodied.  I looked at him for several seconds wondering what to do.  Then with one finger I pressed on his chest and a gulp of air came out.  I pressed 2 more times and the same thing happened each time.  Then he started to breathe  a little on his own.  I stroked him gently and walked to the bird bath with him in my hand and put a tiny drop of water on the side of  his mouth.  He quickly  moved his mouth and swallowed.   I gave him another and watched him.  He licked his lips and seemed to regain consciousness.  He started to squirm a little as I continued to touch him gently with one finger.  Then suddenly he moved very quickly and jumped right out of my hand and ran off (to the bushes in front of the shed).  I didn't get a chance to check out his bloody paw.  I put some food under the bushes for him and a little water nearby.  When he ran he didn't appear to limp.  It seems unbelievable  and amazing that I could resuscitate a chipmunk.  I know as you read this you might think I'm crazy, but I thought it was amazing!  Imagine CPR to  a tiny little chipmunk.   I do hope he survives.  And  that bad boy Seamus is grounded till it snows.  

After that little incident I did some research on the life styles of chipmunks and learned that they only live for about 3 years, they mate for life and hibernate in underground borrows  during the winter.  They usually have about 3 litters in a lifetime. Moms nurse the babies during the winter and feed on the stored food. They keep their dens very clean with separate quarters for sleeping, eating  and elimination all underground.   I have found that they show up around 4:30pm as they gather 
food and carry it to the dens. This year I've only seen one a few times.  I just  think they are sooo cute.  I hope I see some in the spring.



No comments:

Post a Comment