Famous Seamus

Famous Seamus
Love that belly

Friday, November 1, 2013

Listening Skills

I wrote this entry for my writing group this morning and decided to post it here as well. Our topic was about personality traits which are valued and of course those which we might not want to have. As is usual we are free to approach the topic in any manner we choose. The following was my essay: So many personality traits to think about, but after some thought I have decided that "listening" is first on my list. Sadly I am not a good listener. I 'zone' out frequently and sometimes miss important information. But when someone listens to me and draws my attention with questions and comments I am so pleasantly surprised and sometimes amazed and remain engaged longer. For me listening trumps almost everything else, and yet I struggle with listening and paying attention. Taking notes helps me keep my focus, but that is not always possible. It is not a lack of interest that causes my wandering mind, more like a computer that freezes and needs to be rebooted. But how does one reboot the mind? So when I'm with someone who listens and gets the information the first time around I am in awe of his or her abilities and generally honored if I am the one to whom they listen. Good listeners make the speaker feel important and respected. Poor listening skills require tolerance and patience. I have worked on my listening skills my whole life, and I continue to train myself to stay tuned to someone who is speaking. Politicians are a challenge, but provide me with an opportunity for some serious practice to improve my listening skills. But the process is slow.
I should say Donald Trump is not someone to whom I choose to listen.  I try not to be too political,
but at times I must be honest also.

No comments:

Post a Comment