Famous Seamus

Famous Seamus
Love that belly

Friday, November 8, 2013

Tick Season: Not Yet Over

I found a tick on me last evening when I put my PJ's on. I'm not sure what kind it is, but after looking around online I think it may be just a plain dog tick which would be good news. I will call my MD today and find out what the nurse practitioner thinks. Lyme ticks are usually abundant in the spring so that also gives me hope that this won't be a serious problem. next day So the tick was one of the Lyme/dear ticks. Size and color gave some clues, but the defining issue is the bullseye welt it leaves on your skin - an outer red circle and dark spot in the center. It itches and hurts at the same time, but scratching doesn't help. It also feels hard to touch. You must have antibiotics, doxycycline as early as possible to prevent the Lyme arthritis disease. Doxycycline is the drug of choice, but if you are allergic there is probably an alternative. The thing is these ticks aren't through for the season yet. A mild autumn has allowed them to reproduce more than usual so they willcontinue to be a threat for several more weeks. I still have leaves to finish raking and bagging. I'll have to try clothes that cover most of me snugly. Not the best thing to wear for hard work in the yard. Pets can bring them into the house, but my cats don't go out so I only have one way to pick up these horrible creatures-- being in the wrong place - outdoors. So I guess I'm staying inside until the first snow. My advice to the readers -- Be careful out there. It's a tick jungle.

No comments:

Post a Comment