Famous Seamus

Famous Seamus
Love that belly

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Problems with Hunting

I admit it: I'm an echo freak, and an animal advocate. I don't do as much as I should, but I worry about it and feel for the animals that are harmed every day for profit. Sadly, the people who are responsible for the killing of elephants for ivory, and other animals for fur or food derive some sort of sick pleasure from the pain inflicted on them. I have had a few discussions with my brother-in-law (not really discussions, more like he yelled, and I didn't get a word in). He maintains that killing deer, wolves and other animals hunted for food, fur, or skin actually improves the herd and that the gun clubs actually help the survival of the animals by killing some animals. He believes that they reduce their numbers so they don't starve. I don't actually disagree with this premise, but I don't believe that hunting has anything to do with it. Thinning the herds may have some sort of benefit, but putting a bullet between the eyes (figuratively) of a doe or buck is not something I ever want to do. I think nature has a way of thinning the herd and doesn't need any help from us. Besides how much do you think the deer that is killed thinks it's ok? Also I don't think the hunters are careful enough or have such good aim that they don't make mistakes. I think they go for the biggest and healthiest deer and there is little compassion for the one they hit. Having said that a part of me thinks that what they do (the hunters) is better than what we see happening to animals in the slaughter houses and factory farms. So there is really no answer that is good for the animals. Thinning a herd means we kill one individual so that others can survive long enough to mate and reproduce and then we can kill more. Also the hunters usually go after the biggest and healthiest animals, not the sick and weakest. The only answer is vegetarianism and I'm close to that, eating meat only 2-3 times a week. I worry about that, but I also see that the wolves attack the deer and the death of the deer is not quick or painless. So are we that different from the animals. And while I would not kill an animal to eat it, I do eat meat. My compromise is to not eat meat for 2-4 meals in a week. I don't use cows milk (almond milk is good), but I like cheese, eggs, and chicken which causes me a great deal of anxiety. What is the answer? I wish I knew, but I have an early day tomorrow so I have to go to sleep without answering my question.

No comments:

Post a Comment