Famous Seamus

Famous Seamus
Love that belly

Monday, August 4, 2014

When Kitty Needs Meds

I haven't had a blog entry in quite some time.  There are lots of things I could write about from my kitties to a move to FL, to a visit with my granddaughter, but I've been in a bit of a funk.  One of my cats has had IBS and was on several meds and had a few visits to the doc.  He now hides when he sees me coming.  It breaks my heart, but I can't blame him.  The good news is that when I stop for a few days between visits to the veterinarian's office he seems to forgive me and lets me get close to him. At one point (after the second regimen of pills and liquid meds) he seemed to be relieved and jumped on the bed early in the morning and snuggled with me for about  half  an hour before jumping off and letting me get up. I thought I heard a sigh of relief as he settled down on my stomach, stretched out and took a short nap.  I was forgiven!!!  Then his IBS came back and further treatment was needed.  He is now on an intermittent
treatment every other day or every 2 days.  He's a gentle little boy and would never hurt me, but he does try to keep his mouth closed tightly, not allowing me to pry it open.  Then after I put the medicine in his mouth and get him to swallow he bolts and hides for hours, sometimes up to a day.  That's when I feel sooo guilty - even though I'm only trying to help him.   It's like I have lied to him and he is now disillusioned.  So far he's been off the medication for
a week or so. He seems to be over his trauma, but if I reach for him he still tries to back away.  I have to be fast.  I really  hope he's ok now. Though the monetary expense can be high  there is also an emotional cost of administering medications and treatments,  and it can be very stressful.  

This kitty doesn't forget what I have done to him and avoids me after administration of some foul tasting liquid or pushing pills down his little throat.  Dogs do seem to be more forgiving or maybe they have shorter memories.  But they too have their limits.  I'm hoping they all stay healthy for at least a year. Now go hug your pets.








No comments:

Post a Comment