Famous Seamus

Famous Seamus
Love that belly

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Coping with the Aging Process

I am enjoying my weight loss, but I was up about 2lb on today's
weigh-in so I did my run, then went to Mystic and shopped (spent 
too much money on odds and ends that I needed.  I'll have to be a 
bit more careful next time.  I did go for a long walk, bought coffee
(iced and still sipping it), sat by the river and did some reading. It
is such a pleasure to read by the river on a mild day.  It was a little
hot, sun shining, light breeze, and just a few people on the other 
benches.  I would have liked a little shade, but there was none.
Still it was nice and restorative  then I headed to the grocery store
before heading home.  I've been cooking squash, cleaning, putting 
groceries away, reading and watching some TV news and other stuff.
I've also been feeding my squirrels, chipmunks, gopher, and of 
course the birds.  My cats do love watching the critters, but one cat,
Chloe, hogs the window with the best view.  She's my only female 
and a bit anxious so they (the other cats) tread carefully where she 
is concerned. They let her have her favorite place - no questions asked.

My friend is here, sleeping as usual.  He claims he sleeps fine at night,
but every time he is here he falls asleep in the chair and snores
loudly. I don't mind really, but sometimes I need to do some things
such as vacuuming and I don't want to wake him.  He'll soon be
working again so I try to ignore it for now.

It will soon be July and we will be half way through the year.  It does
seem that time passes more quickly as one ages.  I'm now 68 and 
thinking about what will change as I continue this process of aging.
 Maybe I don't want to know, or maybe I'd like just the good news
(but is there any).  I know that I still care about what people think of me,
 but not as much as I once did.  I don't want to be a weird old lady, or
a mean one, but this is unchartered territory for me as it is for everyone. I
did watch my parents and some friends and neighbors age. It's not
encouraging, but there are no alternatives.  I think the only
steps one can take are keeping physically active (forcing oneself
if necessary), challenging oneself intellectually IE reading, 
studying, trying new things (sewing, volunteering etc)  As yet I
have not volunteered, but I enjoy reading and writing as this
blog illustrates, and I belong to a writing group that meets once
a week on Fridays.  Some times we have lunch together afterward
at a local restaurant.  The writing group is a good exercise for my
writing interests because I don't get to choose the topic only the way I
want to address the topic that is  presented by the moderator.
I also have an online journal which I highly recommend.  It's easy,
has unlimited space,  has a free  version and an unlimited version
for a small annual fee.  If you are reading this and would like to try  an
online journal do a search there are so many to choose from you may find
it difficult to decide. The one I use is called  "Penzu".  You can have several
different journals if you choose and leave your journal to read after you
are gone from the earth which I think takes a lot of thought about who
will have the password for it.  But I can say that I wish I had something
from my mother - a letter or even a paragraph -- anything her own words
would mean so much to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment