Famous Seamus

Famous Seamus
Love that belly

Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Million Dollars

In my writing group yesterday we were asked to write about what we would do with a million dollars.  I thought he meant how would we give it away or who would we help.  I think I misunderstood because most of the ladies said they would take a trip, pay off the mortgage, help their children buy a car, piece of land, pay for  college etc.  Many also mentioned helping strangers in one way or another. 

I thought that I was supposed to give it all away so I did.  I took my fantasy money and formed a fantasy charitable foundation whose purpose would be to help families and individuals who "fall through the cracks" ie they don't quite qualify for any assistance but are in a desparate or just very difficult financial situation.  I've actually been in that situation once and the only thing I qualified for was free lunch for my daughter.  However at the school she attended they did not have a lunch program. So we still had to pack her lunch and buy the items needed for it. But thankfully I had family who helped until I recovered and went back to work. 

But if I could do anything I wanted with the money, I'd pay off some bills like my mortgage, buy a better car, and maybe fund a retirement account,  visit the Galapagos Islands and then start a foundation.  This foundation should have some way of generating income so it can remain independent.  Then  I would continue to help people and still receive donations as well.  Gee maybe I could work there and receive a modest salery thus solving my unemployment problem.  Sounds good.
It's nice to dream once in a while and this is the season for dreams.  I wish everyone who might read this a very merry Christmas and may your dreams come true as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment