Famous Seamus

Famous Seamus
Love that belly

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Coping with "Things"

I've been busy today sorting and saving.  I have such a problem with throwing.  I wonder if anyone else does - oh right they have a program about hoarders (even animal hoarders) on tv.  So the problem isn't mine alone, but I think I knew that.  I form an attachment to everything (except dirt) I have in my home.  I don't want to throw it if it still has life in it.  So sometimes I give it away even when I know no one will want it.  I just hate waste.  I think maybe that came from my grandmother and mother although as my mom neared the end of her life she seemed glad to ditch things.  She just "couldn't be bothered" with clutter, but that was when she was in her 80's.  It might be good if I cought the bug a little earlier.  My daughter is always after me to through things out, but I resist.  I dig my heels in and don't even want to answer.  When I get frustrated enough I do begin to discard things.  Moving has helped (or forced) me to do this somewhat; it has also helped me find things I didn't remember I had or knew that I had them but hadn't been able to find for years and finally gave up and bought another one.  I wonder if many people relate to that experience? I never lost my daughter, and I never lost my cats (in the home) even when I had 8 of them.  Right now I'm down to 3 and I watch kitten videos on Youtube and long for more, but I can't give in to that right now, and it hurts not to be able to go to a shelter and give a little kitten a new home or even an older cat whose time is running out, but do to some committments I can't have more cats for about 2 years. Maybe then I can rescue another cat.  All my cats except 2 have been rescued from the outdoors and one from my sister who was rescued from the outdoors by my sister before I got her.
I took her from my sister because she was a fearful little kitty (about 1 to 2 years old and one of my sisters cats was bullying her. She was so terrified she wouldn't come out from hiding. So I brought her home and my kitties seemed to like her immediately and she was ok with them.
I think if I had a huge house I'd be over the top with "things" that I mostly don't need - just like.  I try to figure it all out, and when I think that I have the answer (seldom) I still crave trinkets, shiney things like rings and necklaces, scented candles, soap, books, pens, cosmetics, jewelry and gadgets  etc.  It's never enough and I don't know why.  I do know it has to stop. And I'm working on that. Sometimes life can be so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment