Famous Seamus

Famous Seamus
Love that belly

Friday, September 2, 2011

Irene Takes Leave

Well Irene came to CT and left a path of destruction that may cost as much as 75 million to fix, clean and reopen. My electricity was out for nearly 5 days (3 hours short of 5 days).  TV was out for 6 days.  It's OK I can live without TV though I missed my Dateline, 20/20, CNN, animal planet and a few police stories.  I did manage to do some reading but it was dark by 7 pm (New England is like that as September nears. Oct will end DST and it will be dark at 4:30pm.)  So it's hard to read by candle light.  And electronic devices don't have a  a long enough battery life to suit me and can't be recharged during a power outage.  But at least my cat Princess Chloe has calmed down and is actually purring.  I've been busy all day with picking up, putting things away, and doing laundry and cleaning up the fridge and throwing out rotten or suspected rotten food. There's more of the same for tomorrow.  So enough whining.  I do need to get to sleep.  I'd be interested in reading some other material about this hurricane.  I wonder how people cope at times like this.  Am I the only one who whines, pouts and stamps her feet?  I hope not.  Still I never thought I'd get excited to a degree in the realm of Christmas eve in the life of a 6 year old.  But when I saw those utility trucks one street away from mine, it was Christmas all the way.  A few hours later the lights were on and I was ecstatic. 

As an aside there is a website called 'Hurricaneville' and it has all the known information of hurricanes from the point when the first records were kept (world wide I think) posted there, charts, history, statistics and more.  It is free, but they do request a donation to keep it operational. I could have searched and read the information posted on that site for hours, but sadly I didn't have hours available.

No comments:

Post a Comment